No, not Christine O'Donnell or Sharron Angle—though this one answers Barbara Walters' famous question for them:
Now I'll be honest. When TPM Reader JB told me about Pterocarya fraxinifolia earlier today, I thought there was a pretty decent chance I was being punk'd. Or maybe JB had been punk'd. Someone was getting punk'd. But some simple googling showed that if this is a put-on someone has spent a ton of time posting spoof pages on tons of arboreal and nursery websites around the world. More than 16,000 according to Google. So I'm going with the Caucasian Wingnut being the real thing.
Ironically, this Caucasian Wingnut is most common, or at least started out, in Northern Iran, which isn't necessarily what you'd figure for your garden variety Tea Partier. But there you go. JB says it's the official tree of the Tea Party Movement. But I'll just say you've been warned.
No, really: the Caucasian Wingnut is a tree.
(Via Talking Points Memo.)
From Dan Savage the week before last:
Is everyone in the Republican Party a closeted homosexual?
—Ken Mehlman's Out Now
Everyone except Ken Mehlman and Ben Quayle.
Of course, this simply isn't true. Other Republican leaders have come out as well.
I discovered this joke from the head of Duke's CCMBA IT department:
An accountant is having a hard time sleeping and goes to see his doctor. "Doctor, I just can't get to sleep at night."
"Have you tried counting sheep?"
"That's the problem - I make a mistake and then spend three hours trying to find it."
And 24 hours from now, I'll be somewhere over Minnesota on my way to Shanghai...
Before continuing yesterday's list of Star Wars lines that only a 14-year-old could love, I need to tip my hat to reader AS who found this sparkling diamond of a list. Change one word in a Star Wars quote to "pants" and you get, for example, "I find your lack of pants disturbing," or, "In his pants you will find a new definition of pain and suffering." Fascinating that the list includes lines from all six movies, and yet only lines from the first three made it into the top 20.
Here's a clue. Here are the top 10 lines from The Empire Strikes Back:
- "And I thought they smelled bad...on the OUTSIDE!"
- "Possible he came in through the south entrance."
- "I must've hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?"
- "Hurry up, golden rod..."
- "That's OK, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."
- "But now we must eat. Come, good food, come..."
- "Control, control! You must learn control."
- "There's an awful lot of moisture in here."
- "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"
- "I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me!"
And from Return Of The Jedi:
- "I need more men."
- "Our instructions are to give it only to Jabba himself."
- "Thanks for coming after me."
- "Rise, my friend."
- "I can't do it, R2."
- "Look, I want you to take her."
- "I'm endangering the mission. I shouldn't have come."
- "General Solo, somebody's coming."
- "I have felt him, my master." "Strange that I have not."
- "Back door. Good Idea!"
Further evidence that Lucas lost his art when he did the first three.