A businessman, who was previously a sailor, knew that ships are always addressed
as "she" and "her." He often wondered what gender computers should be addressed.
To resolve this he set up two groups of computer experts, one of women and one of men.
He asked each group to determine whether computers should be
referred to in the feminine or the masculine gender. Each gave four reasons for their
The group of women said computers should be referred to in the masculine gender because:
- In order to get their attention, you have to turn them
- They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
- They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem.
- As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited
a little longer you could have had a better model.
The group of men concluded that computers should be referred
to in the feminine gender because:
- No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
- The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible
to everyone else.
- Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later retrieval.
- As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find
yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.
Submitted by reader K.T.