I am not a food writer, so I don't have the vocabulary to describe dinner the other night at 42 Grams. Let me just reproduce a few items from our meticulously-presented, precisely-timed courses:
- Carabinero: finger lime, phytoplankton, kelp, and lacto-fermented vegetables
- Sweet pea custard: bacon, whey, brown butter, herbs & lettuce
- Summer corn: corn silk, roasted corn broth, polenta
- Organic Irish salmon: tea smoked with fallen pine, muhroom dashi, spent grain toast, nastrurtium
- Lamb neck: smoked yogurt, tamarind, fennel
- Veal sweetbread: foie gras, ash-baked eggplant, golden berry
Plus five more courses. And we brought wine that we'd obtained in Como.
I said, "Even if I could afford it, I couldn't eat like this every day."
My dinner companion said, "Why not?"
She has a point.
Oh, look: they have a last-minute reservation available for 6pm tonight...