This is the Daily Parker's 4,000th post of the modern era. Since 13 November 2005 (3,030 days ago), I've posted 4,000 bits of flotsam, jetsam, and other things considered debris in some circles.
Four thousand entries ago:
- George W. Bush was almost a year into his second term and Barack Obama was the junior U.S. Senator from Illinois;
- Molly Ivins was still alive and kicking;
- Our wars in Afghanistan and Iraq had stagnated;
- Facebook was less than two years old but more than a year from general availability;
- The Atlantic Ocean was seven weeks away from ending the weirdest hurricane season on record; and
- Parker was still seven months from being born.
- We had troops in Iraq and Afghanistan;
- A sizable portion of the United States believed in the literal truth of 3,000-year-old Jewish mythology;
- Vladimir Putin was president of Russia;
- Most of the U.S. House of Representatives comprised exactly the same people it does today.
Back in my 3,002nd entry, I projected hitting 10,000 entries in April 2025. A thousand entries later, ticking along at a consistent 1.5 entries per day, the 10,000th entry is now due in...February 2025. Here's the progress for the first 4,000 posts, measured in posts per day:
I could go on. And I will. So keep reading.